nk-projects

Sunday, December 24, 2006

A Letter from a NK Defector in SK to her Parents in NK

Dear Friends:

I receive many e-mails from South Korea everyday. Some are from my NGO friends, some from the freedom fighters in South Korea, and some from the North Korean defectors. Mr. Kim in Seoul sends me news and articles to me everyday. He sent me a copy of letter today from a NK defector in Seoul to her parents in North Korea, written on January 12, 2005. I had to translate it to share it with you. Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you all. Sincerely, Sin-U Nam

[Translated from Korean]


Dear Mom and Dad I long to see everyday,

You daughter writes this letter in tears and in blood,
Knowing that both of you are still suffering in the concentration camp somewhere.

Looking back, I made so many mistakes.
I heard from someone,
That you were taken to prison because of the money I sent you from South Korea.

I cannot help but despair.
It has been 7 years since I left home.
They started so-called “March of Hardship” in North Korea.
People were dying of starvation everywhere.
The whole village perished of starvation.
And then the disaster hit our home finally.

Dad who brought home some grains from the brewery he worked at became too weak to work any longer, and then two of my brothers died of starvation.
Mother was so weak she could not go up to the hills to pick the wild grasses to feed us.
I made up my mind then,
I did not want to let my family perish like that.
I had to save my parents from starvation no matter what.
I had to leave my home for China to get food for my parents.

I left home knowing that the trip would be hard and difficult.
I was determined to make money,
To save my parents and my only beloved brother at home from starvation.
I was ready to sacrifice myself for my family.

I crossed Tumen River to China determined and without fear,
I did not care when I was sold to a Chinese merchant like an animal,
And then lost my virgin after 20 years of being chaste.
I was sold from one to another, all of them like animals.

I persevered in pains and tears,
But, I could not make any money, I could not save any money.
I went through so much pain my body was completely ruined.

In 1999, I was caught by the Chinese police and sent back to North Korea.
Can you ever imagine what happened to me there?
I cannot tell you everything. It hurts too much.
By the so-called Motherland,
By the so-called Mother Party.
They tortured us, the repatriated defectors, without mercy but with venom.
Mother Party was not Mother, but a pack of hyenas.

I was taken to the Labor Camp in Young-Kwang County in Hamkyong Namdoh Province, and was in the Camp for 6 months.
I learned new things there I never knew existed in North Korea.
North Korea is run by a pack of hyenas,
And, the so-called Dear Leader Kim Jong-il is not a leader,
But a human butcher of people, the worst in the history of our country for thousands of years.

I knew I could not live there,
I crossed Tumen River again as soon as I was released from the prison camp.

I could have gone home then,
My home I dreamed about in a tavern in Mokdan, China,
My home I longed for with tears in a Karaoke saloon in Shenyang, China.
My home where my father and mother would be waiting for their daughter.

I had to cross Tumen River though, in tears and in blood.
I could not stay in the land of hyenas, I could not return to the land of hyenas.
I had to run away from the land of hyenas to a foreign land again.
Again, I had to go through the same hell for several years in China.

I thought about you, Mom and Dad starving back at home,
Whenever I was down and hopeless.
Do you know where I finally got some money?
Not in China where the police were after me day and night,
But in South Korea where I finally escaped to.

They told us in North Korea that South Korea was our mortal enemy.
They told us in North Korea that we could never live peacefully with South Korea.
South Korea took us in with warm open hands as if we were their own.
They gave us the settlement allowance.
When I finished the orientation program at Hanawon Institute,
The South Korean government gave me the settlement money.

I never imagined that that money would bring you disaster.
I am so sorry, Mom and Dad.
North Korea is not a place for people to live,
It is a place only for the hyenas and their boss, Kim Jong-il.

They expect you to die of hunger lying down at home.
If someone tries to live with help from outside, it will be considered as treason.
We have to wish the happiness and health of Dear Leader,
Even when we are starving to death because of him.
The worst nightmare for the people, and a strange world only for the hyenas.

I think about you, Mom and Dad, when it rains and when it snows.
How can you survive in a world full of hyenas!
We had snow last night here.
People are out and about to enjoy the snow.
I thought about you, Mom and Dad, who are in the prison somewhere.

You will be sixty-one in twenty days, Father.
What should I do on your birthday?
So much fine food and delicacies here in South Korea.
I won’t be able to serve you even a bowl of noodles on your birthday.
What should I do?

Mom and Dad, I miss you so much.
My heart breaks when I think of you in the cold freezing prison cell even tonight.
Even in the cold prison cell, I know you would be thinking about me.

Mother and Father, this will not go on forever.
Spring must be around the corner after the long harsh winter.

I will run home to you, Mom and Dad, when our country is reunified.
Please wait for me, Mom and Dad. Please be well until we see each other again with joy.

Mom and Dad!

Your unforgivable daughter in Seoul
January 12, 2005


서울로부터 매일 많은 이-메일들을 받습니다. 혹은 엔지오 동지들이 보내고, 혹은 자유투사들이 보내고, 또 탈북형제들에게서도 옵니다. 서울에 계신 김선생님은 매일 소식과 칼럼들을 열 통도 넘게 보내주십니다. 오늘도 김선생님으로부터 한 탈북여성이 북한에 계신 부모님께 보낸 눈물의 편지를 받았습니다. 2005년 1월 12일자 편지입니다. 미국동지들에게 전하느라고 부족한 영어실력이지만 번역해 보았습니다.

성탄절을 모두 즐겁게 보내시고, 새해 복많이 받으시기 바랍니다.

2006/12/24 남신우 올림



[탈북여성의 편지]

언제나 그리운 아버지 어머니,

지금 이 시각에도 감옥에서 고생하고 계실 늙으신 아버지 어머니를 그리면서
이 딸은 피눈물로 이 글을 씁니다.

참으로 지금 생각해 보면 제가 잘못한 것이 너무 큽니다.
소식을 들었습니다.
제가 여기 남한에 와서 처음으로 보낸 그 돈 때문에, 그것이 문제가 되어
어머니와 아버지 두 분이 모두 감옥에 들어갔다는 소식을 말입니다.

생각해보면 볼수록 너무도 기가 막힙니다.
어느덧 제가 집을 떠나 온지도 7년이라는 세월이 흘렀습니다.
이른바 “고난의 행군”이라는 것이 시작되어
하루건너로 앞집 뒷집에서 사람들이 굶어 죽어 나가고
온 마을이 텅텅 비어가던 바로 그 때
마침내 우리 집에까지 불행이 들이닥치지 않았습니까?

마지막까지 양정사업소에서 쌀겨라도 날라 오던 아버지까지 쓰러지자 동생 둘을 굶어죽고
어머니도 더는 기력이 없어 산에 풀 뜯으려도 못 가시는 것을 보고
그때 저는 마음먹었어요.
정말 더는 이렇게 살수 없다.
나 하나를 바쳐서라도 굶어서 쓰러진 아버지 어머니부터 구원하자.
그래서 떠난 길이 바로 중국으로 가는 길이었습니다.

떠날 때부터 그 길이 평탄한 길이 아닌 줄은 몰라서 떠난 것이 아니예요.
하지만 어떤 일이 있더라도 돈만 벌 수 있다면
그래서 아버지 어머니 사랑하는 동생을 구원할 수만 있다면 나 하나의
고생은 달게 받자 마음먹고 떠난 것이 그 길이었어요.

그런 생각을 하고 건넌 두만강이었기에
사람 같지도 않은 중국 인간 장사꾼들의 손에 걸려
2십여 년간 고이 지켜온 정조를 유린당할 때에도
그리고 또다시 그들의 손에 팔리어 여기저기 다닐 때에도
피눈물로 그 모진 고통을 참고 견뎌 냈어요.
하지만 그렇게 하였는데도 그렇게도 쉽게 잡힐 것만 같던 돈은
여전히 눈앞에서만 맴 돌뿐 손에 잡히지는 않았어요.
아니 그저 돈만 잡히지 않은 것이 아니라 그 고통 속에 몸은 몸대로 망가지고
1999년 어느 날에는 중국 공안원들의 손에 걸려 다시 북한으로 끌려갔어요.

거기서는 또 어땠는지 아세요.
정말 다 말씀드리니 못하겠어요.
그래도 어머니 조국이라고 어떻게 생각하면
차라리 잘 되었는지도 모른다고 생각했던 그 어머니 당이
얼마나 악착같이 우리 중국에서 잡혀온 탈북자들을 짓밟았는지 아세요.
한마디로 그 나라 어머니 당은 말 그대로 승냥이 당이었어요.
함경남도 영광군에 있는 노동 단련대에 끌려가서 6개월,
그 과정에 저는 실로 많은 것을 새로 알게 되었어요.

그 나라 당은 승냥이 당일뿐만 아니라
그 나라를 지도하는 최고 지도자랍시고 하는 김정일은
우리 인민이 수천년 역사에서 처음으로 맞게 된
무서운 인간 최고 백정이라는 것을 알았어요.
그래서 더는 그 땅에서 살수 없었기에 노동 단련대에서 풀려나는 날
바로 그 길로 다시 두만강을 건넜어요.

한 역전만 먼저 내리면 바로 제가 목단강의 이름 없는 술집에서,
그리고 심양의 서탑 노래방에서 눈물이 앞을 가려 앞이 보이지 않을 때에도
보이던 아버지 어머니가 기다기로 계실 집이 있었음에도
피눈물을 삼키고 그 길로 두만강을 건넜어요.

언제이건 그 땅에 승냥이 무리가 없어지지 않는 한 돌아가지 않겠다고 마음먹고
다시 이국 땅에 몸을 던지고 말았단 말이에요.
그리고 또 다시 몇 년, 정말이지 무슨 일인들 없었겠어요.
하지만 그때마다 저는 이제는 벌써 옛일처럼 되어버린
굶어 쓰러져 있는 아버지 어머니 얼굴을 떠올리며 악착같이 견디었어요.
하지만 제가 그렇게 악착같이 쫓아도 잡지 못했던 그 돈이
어디에 와서 잡았는지 아세요.
찰거머리같이 쫓아다니는 중국공안의 추적을 피해
여기 대한민국에 와서야 마침내 잡았어요.

우리의 철천지 원쑤라던 남조선이
그리고 한 하늘을 이고는 절대 살수 없다던 이 남조선이
우리를 그래도 동족이라고 따뜻하게 맞아주고 정착금까지 주었어요.
그래서 전 여기 탈북자 정착교육을 하는데서 나오자
곧 정부에서 준 그 정착금을 보냈던 거예요.

그런데 그 돈이 또 그런 화를 불러 올 줄이야...
아버지 그리고 어머니 정말 죄송하다는 말 밖에 할 말이 없습니다.
어떻게 생각해 보아도 그 곳은 진정 사람이 사는 세상이 아니라
승냥이들만 사는 세상 그리고 그 왕초 김정일이만 살 세상이에요.
죽더라도 앉아서 굶어죽어야지 뭐든 먹고 살겠다고만 하면 반동으로 되는 세상,
그저 죽으면서도 그 추악한 김정일의 만수무강만 바란다고 말해야만 하는 세상
그건 정말 사람 사는 세상이 아니라 야수들만 판치는 세상이에요.
그래서 비오는 날, 눈 내리는 밤이면
더 가슴 미여지게 아버지 어머니 생각이 납니다.
그 승냥이들만 사는 세상에 착하디 착한 우리 아버지 어머니는 어떻게 사실까.
어제 밤 여기에는 눈이 왔어요.
그래서 사람들은 모두 눈구경을 한다고 야단들인데 저는 생각했어요.
지금 이 순간에도 감옥에 계신다는
우리 아버지 어머니는 어떻게 하고 계실까.

손울 꼽아 헤여 봤더니 이제 스므 날만 있으면 아버지 진갑이더군요.
아 그러니 그날 저는 어쩌란 말입니까.
여기에 쌓이고 쌓인 갖가지 과일음식들을 두고
그날 그 흔한 라면 한개 끓여 대접하지 못하는 이 딸은
그날 과연 어쩌란 말입니까?

아버지 어머니 정말로 그립습니다.
이 밤도 차디찬 감방에서 모진 고생을 하시면서도
자신들보다도 이 딸을 먼저 걱정하고 계실 아버지 어머니를 생각하면
정말로 가슴이 터집니다.
하지만 그리운 아버지 어머니 이러한 날이 그리 오래야 가겠습니까
겨울이 가면 봄이 오는 것은 당연한 이치가 아니겠습니까.

아버지 어머니 계신 고향땅으로 통일의 기쁨과 함께 달려가겠습니다.
부디 그날까지 편히 계세요.

아버지 그리고 어머니!

2005.1.12일 서울에서 영원한 죄인 딸 올림

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home